Mark Dwyer of Speedreaders.info recently reviewed; The V12 Engine: The Technology, Evolution and Impact of V12-Engined Cars by Karl Ludvigsen.
- "To many motorheads the word “twelve” has a near-magical ring to it that any other number of cylinders in an internal combustion engine just doesn’t come close to matching for impression or status. Anything less is too few, while the only other practical design with more cylinders, sixteen, certainly does seem to be too many. "
- "Taking on the challenge of chronicling every V12 car engine ever made, as the author tells us is his intent, is not only enormous in scope, it could easily prove to be an overwhelming task for any but the most experienced and determined researcher and writer."
You can read the full review here on http://speedreaders.info/16999-v12-engine/
Special discount offer good for the Rennlist community through May 6, 2016!
Choose any Bentley Publishers® Porsche repair manual(s) from the list below.
In the shopping cart, enter the special Rennlist promo code and the discount price will be applied.
A big thanks goes out to Ben Shahrabani and Rennlist for the great article on Bentley Publishers repair manuals.
To read the full article (and get the special offer details and promo code), go to: Rennlist article on Bentley Publishers Manuals
Click on any of the book covers below to read a full product description, including models and engines covered.
Vintage car lifestyle blog Petrolicious recently reviewed; The V12 Engine: The Technology, Evolution and Impact of V12-Engined Cars by Karl Ludvigsen.
- "Filled with the author’s crisp and detailed prose as well as copious cutaway drawings, engineering cross-sections, and photographs in both black and white as well as color,.."
- "...the author's approach to writing about these engines is more “biography" than engineering study, which makes for a more relaxed read for those less technically-inclined."
You can read the full review here on Petrolicious, These Two Books About Engines Are Unexpectedly Great
On April 7, 2016, in a ceremony held at the Techno Classica Essen in Essen, Germany, the German edition of
Porsche - Origin of the Species was awarded a 2nd place in the automotive book design category.
The 2nd place award for automotive book design was awarded to the German edition of Porsche - Origin of the Species by the ADAC, the largest automobile club in Europe.
Winners were chosen by a panel of judges consisting of automotive writers and high ranking executives from leading European auto manufacturers.
For more information on the award in German, it can be found here on the ADAC blog
Special discount offer good for the Petrolicious community through April 15, 2016!
Choose any Bentley Publishers® repair manual(s) from the list below.
In the shopping cart, enter the special Petrolicious promo code and the discount price will be applied.
A big thanks goes out to Ben Shahrabani and Petrolicious for the great article on Bentley Publishers repair manuals.
To read the full article (and get the special offer details and promo code), go to: Trust Me: Fixing Your Classic Is Easier Than You Think
Click on any of the book covers below to read a full product description, including models and engines covered.
Navigate by brand:
BMW Z3 (E36/7 E36/8) Service Manual: 1996-2002
Hardcover, 1152 pages, 1577 B/W photos and illustrations
List price: $119.95
Rob Siegel, author of Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic, now shares his Hack Mechanic wisdom and experience on the intimidating subject of dealing with electrical issues in your European car.
The Hack Mechanic™ Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems, by Rob Siegel together with the Bentley Publishers Technical Team, shows you how to think about electricity in your car and then take on real-world electrical problems.
Through a practical and informal approach featuring hundreds of full-color illustrations, the Hack Mechanic Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems takes the fear-factor out of projects like making wire repairs, measuring voltage drops, or figuring out if you have a bad fuel pump relay. Essential tools such as multimeters (DVOM), oscillosopes, and scan tools are discussed, with special attention given to the automotive multimeter needed to troubleshoot many modern sensors. You'll get step-by-step troubleshooting procedures ranging from safely jump starting a battery to diagnosing parasitic current drain and vehicle energy diagnosis. And you'll find detailed testing procedures for most problematic electrical components on your European car such as oxygen sensors, crankshaft and camshaft sensors, wheel speed sensors, fuel pumps, solenoids, and actuators. Reading wiring diagrams and decoding the German DIN standard are also covered.
Whether you are a DIY mechanic or a professional technician, The Hack Mechanic™ Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems will increase your confidence in tackling automotive electrical problem-solving.
For more information on The Hack Mechanic™ Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems, visit www.BentleyPublishers.com/electrical.
At a ceremony in Bremen, Germany, during the Bremen Classic Motorshow, Karl Ludvigsen was awarded the “Golden Piston” for his contributions to the recorded history of the motor car.
Established in 2006, the award is given annually to a personality whose work accords with the goals of the Forum Für Fahrzeuggeschichte, known as F3 or F-Cubed.
F3, the Forum for Vehicle History, was established in 2001 with the goal of blending knowledge with resources to achieve accurate representations of the history of motor vehicles for the benefit of both specialists and the public.
Karl Ludvigsen has written more than 60 books about cars, motor companies, drivers and designers. A former motor-industry executive and consultant, he has concentrated on authorship since 2000.
The “Golden Piston”, said F-Cubed, was given to Ludvigsen “for his services to the communication of automotive history with the conscience of the dedicated historian without, however, overlooking enthusiasm."
“With his work for the automotive industry and journalism,” F-Cubed continued, “his particular achievement is to have created valuable contributions in the portrayal of historical developments in the automotive field."
"Hearty congratulations on his latest award,” added the German group, “to the likeable nobleman of personalized automobile history.”
In his response Ludvigsen touched on his first stay in Germany as an American soldier in the 1950s. He has specialized in histories of Porsche and Mercedes-Benz which have been published in both English and German.
Karl Ludvigsen and his wife Annette met with journalists and officials during a weekend of talks and ceremonies at the Bremen Classic Motorshow, where the presentation took place.
A technical video covering Do-it-yourself replacement of the cabin filter is now available in our online technical library. BMW 3 Series MY 2012 - 2015 (F30, F31, F34) - Repair Information
BMW 3 Series 2012-2015 How to Replace Cabin Microfilter DIY
This video outlines the brief steps needed to change the heating and air conditioning cabin filter, also called the cabin microfilter on a F30 series BMW.
BMW 3 Series (F30, F31, F34) 2012-2015 Service Manual - Now Available
For more information on our BMW 3 series service manual visit: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/c/b315
Thanks go out to Autoweek, as they've selected Randy Beikmann's Physics for Gearheads as one of their "7 Must-Have Car Books" for the holidays. From their review: "Beikmann is your guide to the intricacies of physics on the track and in the car. He goes in depth on his subjects, but he doesn't go so far that you're overwhelmed and your eyes glaze over. Non-engineers will never really lose track of what Beikmann is saying. Even the equations make sense to the average schmoe (i.e. us)."
Click on the review to the left to see the full review.
For more information on the acclaimed book Physics for Gearheads, including excerpts, photos, table of contents and much more, go to: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/c/GEBP
Physics for Gearheads
An Introduction to Vehicle Dynamics, Energy, and Power - with Examples from Motorsports
List price: $79.95
The new BMW 3 Series (F30, F31, F34) Service Manual: 2012-2015 is coming out February 16, 2016! Providing in-depth technical coverage for the 320i, 328i, 328d and 335i models in their Sedan, Sports Wagon and Gran Turismo body styles, this repair manual is an detailed source of maintenance, service and repair information for the 3 Series owner or technician.
Bentley technical editors angle-torquing front strut brace.
Today, August 19, 2015, marks a somber anniversary for motorsports fans as it was forty years ago that the legendary driver Mark Donohue succumbed to the injuries he sustained during practice at the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix. As a champion at Indianapolis, USRRC, Trans-Am, Can-Am, formula cars, stock cars, IROC and endurance racers, Donohue was one of the most popular drivers of his time.
Tragically, Donohue's career came to an end in a tragic accident during a practice session at the Österreichring race track for the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix in his post-retirement return to F1.
Mark Donohue was a true racing pioneer in his avid use of driving analysis and engineering savvy to get the most out of his racecars during his successful exploits on the track, traits that were sometimes jokingly described as an "unfair advantage." Donohue brought equal amounts of rugged determination and scientific skill to his time behind the wheel in a way that remains a distinct influence on virtually all aspects of motorsports to this day.
Just before his untimely passing, Mark Donohue saw the publication of his acclaimed book The Unfair Advantage, a first-hand account of his racing career and a car-by-car look at the science he brought to motorsports. After a number of years of the book being very hard-to-find, Bentley Publishers collaborated with Donohue's family to reissue the book in a new edition featuring new color photos and a detailed chronology of Donohue's racing career.
"...a gripping history of sports cars and road racing..." - Los Angeles Times
"This masterpiece is, by far, the single book that you should never find yourself without." - Hooniverse
"No matter what type of motoring enthusiast you are, you will enjoy reading this book..." - Toronto Star
The Unfair Advantage is available here at BentleyPublishers.com or wherever motorsports books are sold. For more information on The Unfair Advantage, click below:
Bentley Publishers is proud to announce that two of our recent books won awards at the 24th International Automotive Media Competition!
Karl Ludvigsen's Corvette - America's Star-Spangled Sports Car won the Silver Award for Book Writing-History: Single Marque while the BMW 3 Series (E90, E91, E92, E93) Service Manual: 2006-2011 won the Silver Award for Book Writing-Technical: How-To.
The award winning publications of the 24th International Automotive Media Competition were announced on Sunday, July 26th, 2015, as part of the Concours d'Elegance of America held at the Inn at St. John's in Plymouth, MI.
Administered by the International Society for Vehicle Preservation, the International Automotive Media Competition (IAMC), is a program to recognize and encourage excellence in all forms of automotive media. Judging of eligible entries is performed by a 22-member panel of automotive media professionals.
For more information on the International Automotive Media Competition, visit their website at https://automediaregistry.org.
Corvette - America's Star-Spangled Sports Car - 1953-1982
Hardcover, 784 pages, 989 photos, illustrations and diagrams
Full-color throughout and printed in the USA.
List price: $54.95
Another round of great reviews for Physics for Gearheads has come in, showing that Randy Beikmann's book on the physics of vehicle dynamics, energy and power in automobiles is equally at home in an automotive enthusiast library, in a professional motorsports workshop or in a physics or mechanical engineering classroom.
- "This would be a terrific textbook for a college-level course in automotive engineering, learning how to compute how kinetic energy of a vehicle in motion is converted to heat in the braking process, how the heat in a fuel is turned into power, or how to predict the force on a suspension pushrod."
- "...if you are looking for a primer in physics that covers the major aspects and principles, and are also an automotive enthusiast, Beikmann's book will make an invaluable contribution to your science education...and perhaps make you a better driver too."
- "Physics for Gearheads is an awesome resource for bringing relevance to an introductory physics class. The pictures and corresponding text truly bring the concepts to life. I would use this as a companion text for a general physics class or as a curriculum text for an elective or choice class."
- "This book is destined to become the new bible of performance engineering for the regular guy. You will refer to it over and over again and it will likely become thoroughly dog-eared addition to the rule books and cam cards in the top of your tool box. The author's style is engaging without the intimidation that often accompanies a read of this nature...a "Must Read" for every gearhead, car guy and performance enthusiast."
To see all of the great reviews for Physics for Gearheads, follow this link: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/automotive-reference/engineering-and-motorsports/physics-for-gearheads/reviews.html .
"For The Dad Who Needs Speed: Packed with anecdotes about the biggest names from racing's golden age, The Racing Driver, originally published in 1958, remains a lively guide to the how and why of fast driving." Honestly, we couldn't have said it better ourselves.
For more information on Denis Jenkinson's The Racing Driver, click below:
- "I like Beikmann's approach to learning: 'Regardless of your background, 'soak time' is important'... So while a lot of this book is about speed, reading it is not. Take your time, and enjoy it!"
- Dennis Simanaitis, illustrious automotive technical expert and former Road & Track Engineering Editor
- "Physics for Gearheads, by Randy Beikmann, is a superbly presented 590 page volume, crammed full of everything a car enthusiast might need if they wish to go beyond the performance figures in the sales brochure...eminently readable."
- Peter Wright, Renowned motorsports engineering expert and author of Formula 1 Technology
- "This is the book that I wish I'd had when taking physics classes in school."
- Speed Secrets Weekly
- "...extremely well laid out with colorful chapter subheadings, key concepts, formula highlights and plenty of diagrams...a very handy reference for vehicle dynamics."
- "If, like me, you are a gearhead who enjoys building things, this book is a godsend of practical equations that, once understood, will allow you to raise your intuitive abilities to a higher level."
These are just some of the great things that people are saying about Randy Beikmann's new book Physics for Gearheads. Click here to read more press reviews of Physics for Gearheads.
For more information on Physics for Gearheads, including the table of contents, an excerpt and much more, visit www.BentleyPublishers.com/physics.