Abstract: Article updating repair information found in Bentley's BMW 3 Series: > 1998 Repair Manual, regarding VANOS control unit, installing - page 117-17 (B398)
Applies to: BMW 3 Series (E36) Service Manual: 1992-1998 - BSIN B398
VANOS control unit, installing
1. Lock camshafts and crankshaft in TDC position with BMW special tools as described above in removal procedure.
2. Remove primary timing chain tensioner from side of cylinder head. See Fig. 40.
Fig. 40. Primary timing chain tensioner (arrow). Remove tensioner slowly to relieve spring tension beneath end plug.
3. Install BMW special tool no. 11 3 390 into primary timing chain tensioner sleeve. Thread tool in finger tight to remove chain slack.
4. Hand turn secondary sprockets clockwise (as viewed from front of engine) until sprockets contact stops.
5. Apply a small amount of liquid gasket sealer (3-Bond 1209® or equivalent) to VANOS housing alignment dowels on front of cylinder head. Install a new gasket.
6. Push VANOS piston gear cup into VANOS housing until it bottoms out in housing. Position VANOS control unit into place, but do not engage splines on gear cup.
7. On cars built up to 3/95:
- hand turn exhaust sprocket counterclockwise (as viewed from front of engine) only enough to mesh
VANOS (VARIABLE VALVE TIMING)
|VANOS control unit, installing - page 117-17 (B398) https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/FQDF|