Oil filter housing, removing and installing (M52, M52 TU, M54 engines)
- Disconnect battery negative cable.
- Loosen oil filter cover to allow oil in filter housing to flow into oil pan.
- Remove alternator drive belt and unbolt alternator from oil filter housing bracket.
- Empty power steering reservoir tank and then unbolt tank and move to one side (lines remain connected).
- Unbolt power steering pump from oil filter housing bracket pump (lines remain connected).
- Remove alternator drive belt tensioner.
- Disconnect harness connector from oil pressure switch.
- Disconnect harness connector for oil temperature switch.
- Disconnect oil pressure line for VANOS adjustment unit from oil filter housing.
- Remove bolts and remove complete full-flow oil filter.
Pinch clips (arrows) to disconnect vent line from cylinder head cover.
Remove ignition coils:
* Disconnect ignition coil harness connectors.
* Remove coil mounting fasteners.
* Remove coils.
* Remove ground straps.
* Set coil harness to side of engine compartment.
Remove cylinder head cover mounting fasteners and remove cylinder head cover.
Installation is reverse of removal. Keep in mind the following:
* Make sure sealing surfaces are clean and free of old gasket material.
* Replace cylinder head cover gasket, as well as rubber insulators and seals as necessary.
* Use a small amount of 3-Bond®1209 adhesive or equivalent at corners (arrows) of half-moon cut-outs at back of cylinder head.
* Seat gasket and seal corners in front of cylinder head at VANOS unit.
* Inspect cylinder head cover mounting screw assembly rubber seals. Replace if rubber is cracked or brittle.
_[Click here to view/download PDF|PDF^rbi-errata-b305-116-8.2006-05-26.pdf|Document appears as images on this page and pdf source can be saved by clicking on this link.]_
|BMW M52, M54 Oil filter housing gasket, replacing https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/JADYBg|