Abstract: This article provides an overview of testing the BMW 5 Series Brake Pad Wear Indicator
Applies to: BMW 5 Series: 2004-2009 (E60, E61)
BMW E60 models utilize a 2-stage break pad wear sensor. The wear sensor is used along with sensor data to determine brake pad life and remaining time until service.
If the brake pad wear sensor is partially worn and reinstalled after replacing pads and/or rotors, you won't be able to reset the service indicator.
Brake Pad Wear Sensor, Testing
Shown Above: Visually inspect sensor. Check that body is intact and not worn.
Shown above: Sensor that shows wear
- Disconnect sensor electrical connector.
- Using a DVOM, measure resistance accross both terminals
- Less than 5 ohms indicates a sensor with remaining service life
- A reading of about 470 ohms indicates a partially worn sensor and requires replacement.
- A reading of open circuit (infinity) indicates a worn out sensor requires replacement.
Please let us know how this worked for you. Add "comment" below if you have any questions, corrections, or suggestions.
Before Performing any Work
Please read Cautions and Warnings before proceeding with any work on your vehicle
|Brake pad wear sensor testing BMW 5 Series E60 https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/AoD4Aw|